Part of the 150th Anniversary of the city of Colorado Springs, it documented local architecture and landscapes that would also have been the subjects of our wet plate image-making predecessors.
702 E. Espanola PABOR COTTAGE, 8 x 10" Wet Plate Collodion, Black Glass Ambrotype
Built 1871 at Bijou and Cascade by W.E. Pabor, the publicist responsible for naming Colorado Springs, this home was used as the city's first schoolhouse by Mary Mellen "Queen" Palmer.
705 N. Tejon, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Black Glass Ambrotype
This residence was first built in 1874 on the southeast corner of Nevada and Pikes Peak Avenues. It was the home of longtime real estate broker William L. Gray and wife Mary. It would later be moved to its present location, 1705 N. Tejon, in order for the land to be sold to Winfield Scott Stratton for $70,000, who would in turn, donate the land to the Federal Government for a 50% valuation, such that a US Post Office could be constructed for the City.
718 E. Columbia, Original Town&Gown Club 1898, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Black Glass Ambrotype
Built in 1898, this home at 718 E. Columbia was designed by famed architect Thomas MacLaren as the Town and Gown Club, the antecedent to the present day Patty Jewett Golf Club.
1028 Cooper Ave, first built in 1865, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Alumitype
Originally built in 1865 as a makeshift residence, this structure was used while the owners built their home at 1028 Cooper Ave. As you can see in the photo, the foundation was expanded around the turn of the century by adding cinder blocks to double the size of the structure.
Briarhurst Manor, built in 1888, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Alumitype
The Briarhurst Manor, built in 1888 by Dr. William Bell and wife Cara, replaced a previous home that burned down in 1886. Dr. Bell applied for and was hired as the photographer for William J. Palmer's surveying expedition for the Kansas Pacific Railway. Dr. Bell would become a lifelong friend and business partner of Palmer, together founding the Denver and Rio Grande Railway.
Dan Russell, Angela Crews, Don Jones COS19thCentury, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Alumitype
Dan Russell, Angela Crews, Don Jones_COS19thCentury at Don's Studio, photo taken by Brian Clifford, processed by Don Jones.
El Paso Canal above Bristol Elementary
In 1871, William J. Palmer instructed his engineer, E.S. Nettleton to build this irrigation canal from Fountain Creek, near 31st street, to the the Old North End and down to the Evergreen Cemetary, 11.5 miles of winding, gravity fed irrigation. Originally known as the Fountain and Monument Irrigation Canals.
El Paso Canal, flume over Mesa Creek, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Black Glass Ambrotype.
The El Paso canal was started August 4th 1871. Designed and engineered at the request of Palmer by Mr. E. S. Nettelton, the project was completed in November 1871. This is the "Flume" over Mesa Creek, in Sonderman Park.
Stratton's Independence Mine and Mill is on the south slope of Battle Mountain, in Victor, Colorado. Winfield Scott Stratton's most famous and productive mine, discovered on July 4th, 1891, produced more gold than any other mine in the district. This mine, in great part, financed the many philanthropic ventures Stratton financed, including the Myron Stratton Home, which Don Jones, the photographer was fortunate enough to live in and benefit from for nearly 7 years as an adolescent.
John Blair Bridge over El Paso Canal
This small stone bridge was built in 1871 and would be used by General William J. Palmer to cross the El Paso Canal, either on horseback or by carriage, on his way home from downtown Colorado Springs.
Mayor John Suthers with Palmer's carriage at Glen Eyrie
Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers, dressed in period wardrobe to resemble General William J. Palmer, stands with Palmer's original carriage from 1871. Present day carriage owner, Scott Bryan sits as the driver, with Palmer's home, the Glen Eyrie Castle, in the background. Draw horses provided courtesy of Julie and Erik Rusin. Wet Plate Collodion Alumitype created on 5-22-2021 by photographer Don Jones.
1065 Mesa Road, 8x10" Wet Plate Collodion, Alumitype
1065 Mesa Road was home to Elinor Hagerman Llewellyn, a widow who lived most of her life at the 4.1 acre property, known historically as the Finlay Orchard